Welcome

BMG Special conversion to Guild BHM1

All DIY projects & discussions
Guitar,effects and amp builds.

BMG Special conversion to Guild BHM1

Postby dadrockholiday » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:51 am

Hi, and thanks from a new member. I am considering converting my one of my BMG Special guitars as close as possible to the appearance of a Guild BHM1. Struggling with pickups at the moment and wondered also if anyone knows if that trem system is still made? I know this may seem like a strange idea but I always wanted one as a kid and when I first saw Brian playing one (Golden Rose Montroeux festival '84) I wore out the video tape watching it! Any steers or help would be much appreciated! Thanks.
dadrockholiday

Re: BMG Special conversion to Guild BHM1

Postby ledzepx » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:06 pm

Where do you live? I think there is a guy that does that type of conversion. Think he is in Spain. I only do the orignal style like Brians.
ledzepx

Postby Doug » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:05 am

Hi.

My steer is just to convert it to look like the original guitar! Either way it will be a lot of work so you might as well do it properly. Cesar from Peru or Ron Smith's Cybershop will sell you the appropriate hardware. You will need a conversion style tremolo which is a vertical back plate rather than horizontal.

Doug
Doug

Postby Jgriffin » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:15 am

dadrockholiday wrote:Hi, and thanks from a new member. I am considering converting my one of my BMG Special guitars as close as possible to the appearance of a Guild BHM1. Struggling with pickups at the moment and wondered also if anyone knows if that trem system is still made? I know this may seem like a strange idea but I always wanted one as a kid and when I first saw Brian playing one (Golden Rose Montroeux festival '84) I wore out the video tape watching it! Any steers or help would be much appreciated! Thanks.

I bet Dimarzio would make you a set of the pickups through their custom shop, but I doubt they would have the logo. It can't hurt to ask them. Once in a while a used or NOS set will pop up on Reverb or eBay. For what it is worth, look for some modern reviews of these pickups and the guitar. From what I have read, they are less than ideal pickups for achieving Brian's sound, and can be microphonic.

The vibrato is still made by Kahler but, if I remember correctly, it had a special spring rate. Kahler sells different springs, but I'm not certain that they are the same as Brian's. The newer Kahlers have a sleeker baseplate, so they aren't exactly the same as the originals. I'm pretty sure this is the modern equivalent of the model used on the Guild. https://www.kahlerusa.com/guitar-tremolo-and-bridge/2300-6string-steel-steel

The springs are easy to change if you do find a set, and these vibratos are plentiful on the used market. Try to buy the most complete Kahler that you can because new parts are costly. A quality, new arm is $30! There are also upwards of 24 screws for various adjustments that can be stripped or seized so thoroughly check them out if you buy used. Check the arm mounting hole for stripped threads too. I think every video featuring the Guild shows no string lock, so you could probably skip that part.
Jgriffin

Return to DIY