Welcome

Julian Hemingway aka Richard Dadd's RS Builds

All DIY projects & discussions
Guitar,effects and amp builds.

Julian Hemingway aka Richard Dadd's RS Builds

Postby Doug » Mon May 22, 2017 10:04 pm

If people are not familiar with Julian Hemingway (aka Richard Dadd's) Red Special builds, take a look at the following YouTube videos.

http://www.youtube.com/YpVVOALLevU
http://www.youtube.com/SQz9R4E7wdE

I've been around the RS/Brian May community for 4 1/2 years but I don't know the guy, never communicated with him and I have never knowingly seen any content of his on the three RS forums.

I saw the original spec RS replica he demonstrates in one of these YouTube videos on a photo from past meetups, 2011 or 2012 maybe but that's it. I only became aware of these videos via a recommendation on YouTube.

He seems to have nailed the vast majority of the body shape details and features that I have worked hard to evaluate and understand so the quality of his research is very good. For example, the replica shown in the build video has vintage correct electronics, i.e. Jeanrenaud switches, a TCC Metalmite capacitor and vintage spec wires but not a Bulgin jack socket. He has inserted the rivet nuts into the neck tenon and pickup rebates as per the original and routed the bridge pickup rebate down as per the original home made pickup depth and added a rubber insert.

Judging by the comments and replies on his videos, he has made a few replicas over the years but won't be making them any more and won't make any to order. I don't blame him! Too hard, too difficult to get all the right materials and components!

I was just wondering whether anybody else is familiar with his work or has interacted with him recently. The videos are dated 2015.

Doug
Doug

Re: Julian Hemingway aka Richard Dadd's RS Builds

Postby Julian Hemingway » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:44 pm

Just to let you know, I've just joined this forum! Spotted my name, so I'll reply generally. I made my first RS back in 1980 ish, which I still have, met Brian/guitar in 1983, and carried on building on a random basis unit now.
I've just finished another literally a couple of weeks back, and am now about to start planning a Guild mk1 (1984) replica, as i have a set of Dimarzio BHM pickups, and a period Kahler trem unit to use - so why not.
Julian Hemingway

Postby ledzepx » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:24 pm

Hi welcome. This forum stems back from 2007-2008. Lot of good stuff. Check out the rs library on here.
ledzepx

Postby ledzepx » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:25 pm

ledzepx

Return to DIY