Welcome

Same old Pete

Red Special guitar related and topics not covered by other subforums.

Same old Pete

Postby rs custom guitars » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:38 pm

Well its been that same old Pete on the other Forum ()*
Why does anyone put up with his ****????
Will not be long before that forum is killed Again....Thanks Pete...
rs custom guitars

Re: Same old Pete

Postby Prostheta » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:22 am

Much incredible stupidity was had by all. Yay.
Prostheta

Postby kz0305 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:35 am

why is it inredible stupidity to ask Pete for an apologie when he abuses a forum member in the way he did :?
kz0305

Postby Prostheta » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:13 am

Well, I don't particularly want to root for any person, party or forum. I would rather state how it is from the perspective of a longtime forum moderator and administrator.

Board have specific guidelines set out to manage what is and is not acceptable content and user behaviour, regardless of any particular persons standing or unique position. Everybody should fall more or less within those guidelines otherwise they might as well not exist. Making guitars in a business context off the back of somebody else's unique and personal design is debatable content however this should be settled personally or legally and certainly not publically. The forum made the specific mistake of allowing a drama to unfold in a public context which should not happen in the first instance. If a board makes the decision to allow free dissemination of information about how to make X guitar (legally problematic or not) or the businesses of people who make X guitar it should stand by that decision instead of backpedalling or leaving it in a grey state for too long. Pete coming in and pushing his opinion (I don't believe he has a legal standpoint, privileged or not) should be dealt with accordingly.

Break this down. If he abuses a member or group of members or makes commentary not fit for normal board discourse, instant warning and treatment LIKE ANY OTHER MEMBER. If he wishes to discuss the legality or moral issues surrounding the copying of X guitar, then great. This can be done publically with respect between parties to gain a better understanding of each other's positions like intelligent people. Whether this was done or not, I have no idea. It's not an easy thing to do by any means.

I don't see what the big debate is. Half of the people would like to treat Pete like he has some higher privilege which trumps board guidelines and group conduct. The other half would like to keep the board in a stable and established state. I would sat "make up your minds" however this should have been done a long time ago. All this stupid crap about "pirates!" is childish from both ends. Builders will always want to follow the original intent of the RS as a homebrew project because in that respect it is highly inspiring as to what one can do with next to nothing. Bring this fifty years down the line and that homebrew legend is causing sabre rattling over a guitar which seems, "okay to build as a homebrewer", "okay to spend several thousand for to get a custom luthier to do what should be a garage job to make" but not okay to make a living off making repros. Of course the grating that is going on is about the business which BMG is attempting. It all comes down to money. Booo-ring. I don't see Andrew Guyton bitching about CQuadro or whatever. Maybe he does, but I haven't see it publically. :lol:

I personally think that many of the customs out there are fine instruments however I feel that Pete sees these as a personal attack on his vested interests, those being in a series of guitars which aren't even a patch on the POS junker thrown together in the loft by Brian and Harold. If BMG made guitars which were actually authentic enough, there may be a case for argument. Pete's thinking is somewhat behind the times in this respect. If people can't get what they want from a BMG (such as authenticity) they will self-build or go to a custom builder who they can either afford or get what they want from. To say, "you can't have an RS unless you buy a BMG or a Guyton, PERIOD" is naive and somewhat mendacious.

Not even sure where I was going with this. This isn't my job and I am not overly interested in anything other than rubbernecking the car crash I just saw happen. Bodies everywhere!! bbb:
Prostheta

Postby Prostheta » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:24 am

Oh, I can't really speak for how these boards are run. I don't spend enough time on them. It is patently obvious that nobody has done any real thought on trapping these elephants in the room.
Prostheta

Postby kz0305 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:24 am

Still :? , So is that Yes , it's ok for Pete to abuse a member , or no it's not ok , a simpe yes it is no it isnt answer will do 8-)
kz0305

Postby ledzepx » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:25 am

Gee what did i miss.
ledzepx

Postby Prostheta » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:44 am

kz0305 wrote:Still :? , So is that Yes , it's ok for Pete to abuse a member , or no it's not ok , a simpe yes it is no it isnt answer will do 8-)

Short answer, "no".

It is not okay for any member to abuse another member, full stop. No member should have some arbitrary privilege over another be they Pete, Brian or an old pirate scumbag. Board policy is there for a reason. Same as The Police, government officials, religious figures and royalty should be subject to the same human laws as the general public. Can't have Sting going around raping and pillaging now can we? As an administrator I stick within the same rules as everybody else whilst the board policies exist both to clarify what is and is not proper conduct and to help the moderating team do their job.
Prostheta

Next

Return to RS General Discussions